Home      Log In      Contacts      FAQs      INSTICC Portal

Visa Information

Visa is not required for short stays up to 90 days, of non-profit nature, in Italy. Citizens of Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada, Japan and many other countries can spend 90 days within a 180-day period in the wider Schengen area, including Italy and other countries in the EU. EU citizens can travel around the Schengen area indefinitely.

Citizens of many other nationalities, including China, South Africa and Russia do need to apply for and obtain a Schengen visa before travelling to Italy and the EU. For more information, contact an Italian embassy or consulate in your home country.


How to obtain a Schengen tourist visa for Italy (if you need one)

Download the Italian visa application form and complete all required information.

1.   Gather all relevant documentation – application form, two identical photos, a valid passport, copies of previous visas (if applicable), Schengen travel visa insurance, proof of travel and finances, a travel itinerary and a cover letter.

2.   Submit all required documentation and payment (usually around EUR 60) to your home country's Italian or representative embassy, consulate or visa application centre.

3.   Wait for the visa to process and be approved – usually within 15 business days.

Visas are the responsibility of the individual traveler. Entry requirements can change at any time, so it's important to check for the latest information.


Schengen Area – the World’s Largest Visa Free Zone

Schengen Area signifies a zone where 27 European countries abolished their internal borders, for the free and unrestricted movement of people, in harmony with common rules for controlling external borders and fighting criminality by strengthening the common judicial system and police cooperation.

Schengen Area covers most of the EU countries, except Ireland, and the countries that are soon to be part of the Schengen Area: Romania, Bulgaria, and Cyprus. Although not members of the EU, countries like Norway, Iceland, Switzerland and Lichtenstein are also part of the Schengen zone.

The Schengen visa is valid for the following 27 European countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Croatia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland. A Schengen visa issued by an Embassy or Consulate of the above countries allows the holder to travel freely in all of these countries.

Detailed information on italian visa policies and legislation is available at the website of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.


It's recommended that this process be started as soon as possible. We can provide the invitation letter so long as you have already registered, completed the payment and submitted the final version of your paper. Please note that this letter does not guarantee that you will receive a visa.


The Essential Features of The Schengen Zone

Currently, the Schengen Area consists of 27 member countries. All of these countries are located in Europe, from which:

·   23 members fully implement the Schengen acquis,

·   Four of them – members of the EFTA, implement Schengen acquis through specific agreements related to the Schengen agreement.

·   Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Lichtenstein are associate members of the Schengen Area but are not members of the EU. They are part of the EFTA and implement the Schengen acquis through specific agreements related to the Schengen agreement.

·   Monaco, San Marino, and Vatican City have opened their borders but are not members of the visa-free zone.

·   The Azores, Madeira, and the Canary Islands are special members of the EU and part of the Schengen Zone, even though they are located outside the European continent.

·   There are four more EU members that have not joined the Schengen zone: Ireland – which still maintains opt-outs, and Romania, Bulgaria, and Cyprus – which are seeking to join soon.

The external borders of the Schengen Zone stretch for a distance of 50,000 km, with 80% being water and the remaining 20% being land. This area includes hundreds of airports and maritime ports, numerous land crossing points, an area of 4,368,693 km2, and a population of 423,264,262 citizens.


Which Are the Non-Schengen Countries in Europe?

The European countries that are not part of the Schengen zone are Albania, Andora, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Georgia, Ireland, Kosovo, North Macedonia, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Turkey, Ukraine, The United Kingdom and Vatican City.